Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The most BEAUTIFUL day at the Zoo!

Okay so the zoo wasn't so beautiful, but the weather sure was!!! 

The other day, the weather man predicted upwards of 80 DEGREE weather!  IN REXBURG . . . . . WHAT!?!  If this was to be true, the girls and I just had to get out of the house.   So we invited some family to go to the zoo with us and have a picnic.  Turns out it was as GORGEOUS of a day as they predicted.  ABSOLUTELY NO WIND!  80 DEGREES!! OF PURE HEAVEN!!!  IT WAS SO GREAT!!!  Okay so enough about the weather, BUT IT WAS SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!  and on to the zoo part, I promise!

Like I mentioned the zoo part wasn't as SPECTACULAR AS THE WEATHER (sorry I couldn't help myself), but the girls really didn't mind!  A lot of the animals were still in their "winter (I hate that word!!!) homes" so we were unable to see them. Come on people it was 80 DEGREES! Get them out in the open!  Despite some missing animals we were able to see enough animals to call the day a success!   Here is a few things we saw!

Hannah was a little nervouse about looking at the Flamingos!  I don't know why!  But I learned something new about flamingos (maybe I'm just a little late learning this).  Ever wondered why flamingoes are pink?  No, it's not because they were created that way.  Its because of the shrimp they eat. . . kind of like if we eat too much carrots, our skin starts turning orange!  Interesting huh?  As many times as I have been to the Tautphaus Park Zoo, I've just now learned that!
The Momma wallaby. . . kangaroo. . . whatever it is, with her baby in her pouch.
And the peacock on the roof.  I guess I never realized these guys could fly.  (I really learned a lot from this trip to the zoo.) 
The Sloth bear.  This guy (or gal) was sleeping, and no amout of coaxing from us could make it move its "slothful" body.  But when the zoo keeper came around, this guy was all show.  It was interesting to see that they really do know the people that work at the zoo. 
 The sad, mangy looking Camels.  Poor guys. . . did I mention it was like 80 DEGREES outside!
And finally, the tiger.  He was friendly enough to pose for a shot with Michael and Abby (Hannah would not touch the thing with a ten foot pole!).
We then ended our zoo experience with a wonderful, WARM, picnic.  The girls had a great time, despite a few missing animals.  The tortoise was the most missed.  It was the most PERFECT DAY at the zoo (at least as far as the WEATHER was concerned!) 

*The weather has since turned cold and rainy again.... anyone surprised?

1 comment:

Britt and Chad said...

What a fun thing to do on a sunny day!! Miss you Hil!! We'll have to get together sometime soon.