I feel like such a redneck every time I reference "Spud Harvest".
However, it was apart of my life for so many years, I'm proud to be the Idahoan that I am!
I haven't worked for several years (sniffle... sniffle!) what with these 3.9 kiddos (6 more days people!) and all,
But I take every opportunity I can to visit my siblings that are still bringing up the spud harvest legacy!
This year it's only Uncle Nickle working.
So we decided to pay him a little visit!
Lucy was brave for like 2 seconds, just long enough to get these pictures.
But when she figured out I wasn't going (due to the fact I am gigantically preggo and there was only one extra seat!) she decided to hang back with me.
We had fun rockin' out to some tunes in the van while we waited.
And these girls had fun riding in Nick's "BUMPY" and "DIRTY" potato truck with Aunt Heidi.
And if the ride wasn't eventful enough for the girls...
This little one lost her third tooth! Wahoo!!!
Being up there amongst the smells and dust brought back so many memories that I want my girls to experience!
Now don't get me wrong, harvest time is not all lollipops and gum drops. No way!
It's actually pretty miserable. Loooong hours, cold temps (I mean, inevitably it would always snow once we started working OUTSIDE the pit), you're dirty and tired and it always took your skin and nails at least 2 months to start feeling like normal again! Not to mention the never-ending pile of vines and dirt clods to rake and the 2 mile walk (at least what felt like) to the dark and abandoned port-a-potty! Yuck!
Yep.... M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E!!!!
So WHY would I want my girls to experience all of that!
Because along with the misery there is some good to experience too.
Appreciating the chance to eat that turkey sandwich (the same one you've had everyday), because you never know when the next chance to eat will be! Breakdowns were the best! Feeling totally productive and proud as the cellar doors close on yet another pit full of potatoes that you just helped harvest. Enjoying the beautiful farmland around you! And experiencing the camaraderie among fellow "spud harvesters" because it truly cannot be matched. Plus the satisfaction of receiving a WELL deserved paycheck at the end of it all! Nothing is better!!!!
In my book, Spud Harvest is an experience absolutely worth experiencing!!!!
So maybe when the girls are old enough to work with me, we'll start a new "potato harvesting" chapter together.
But then again, by that time, chances are robots and drones will be harvesting the crops for us! Dang it!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment