Wednesday, August 27, 2014

California - Fort Bragg

Several years ago I had planned a little family trip to Fort Bragg, California.
Fort Bragg is on the northern coast of California.  Mark went there as a boy and has always wanted to go back!
We were going to camp on the beach, play in the sand, explore tide pools, ride a train through the Redwoods, 
and much more (I've got the slide show to prove it!).
It was going to be fun.
But then....
I got pregnant with Lucy and was due about the time we had planned to go.
Shoot!

So I put Fort Bragg on my bucket list of places to visit and waited for an opportunity to try again.
My patience paid off, and since we had a few extra days in California before the rest of the family was to arrive, 
Mark and I decided to finally take the trip to Fort Bragg.
Mind you a few things changed with my plans (we did not camp!) but we had a great time none-the-less.

Nothing like driving in the middle of the Redwoods to make you realize how small we really are!
Once we got out of the Redwoods it opened up to the absolutely stunning coastline!
Our first place to see was Point Cabrillo Lighthouse.
An old lighthouse turned museum.
I find lighthouse's so fascinating!
I was really surprised at how dry the coastline was. After all, we were on the coast.
But I can imagine when it is all green and lush with vegetation, it is breathtaking!
After the lighthouse, we stopped for lunch.
We found this super cute deli located right next to the train station.
 And the food didn't disappoint either!
So yummy!
After lunch the girls had fun exploring the different trains they had around.
Next stop was the Glass Beach.
In the 1950's this beach was the local dump.  They have since stopped using it as a dump, obviously.
But over the years the waves have transformed the "garbage" into smooth rocks called sea glass.
So pretty much, those "rocks" were once pop bottles or car windows or glass food jars. 
Pretty cool, huh?
It was really interesting.
And the girls LOVED playing on the beach!
It got really crowded there so we decided to find another beach, but I'm glad we stopped.
Walking back to the car, Hannah and I stopped to get some more pictures of the coastline!
I am in love with the coast!
A few miles down the road we found Mackerricher Beach
This one was the typical sandy beach kind.
If I had known better, I would have just packed us some shorts, a couple of buckets, and a picnic and parked for the day.
The girls were in heaven playing in the sand.
And I could have listened to the sound of the crashing waves all day long.
No, I am not standing with my legs spread a crazy distance apart.
The right leg belongs to Hannah!
Awkward!
One of the girls discovered a little boardwalk hike along the bluffs, so we decided to take a looksie.
The kids were pretty much done posing for pictures at this point!
But it was beautiful!
The kids were troopers all day, and went along pretty good with what I wanted to see and do.
So at the end of the day we treated them to some ice cream.
In my research I found that this was THE place to get ice cream in Fort Bragg.
I'd agree, it was really good!
We got...
A Triple Scoop Ice Cream Sundae with Hot Fudge, Whipping Cream, and Three Cherries!
The girls were thrilled to each pick one scoop of the sundae!
After ice cream, it was off to the hotel where sweets dreams of tomorrow awaited us.  :)

The next day we woke up thrilled for the days adventures.
It was the long awaited day that we would ride the Skunk Train.
This is what Mark remembers most about Fort Bragg, and couldn't wait to take the girls on it.
The Skunk Train is an old fashioned train that takes you on a four-hour journey through the Redwood Forests and back.
I am equally fascinated with trains as I am with lighthouses.
In the open air car!  How cool is that?
About 2 hours into our journey we arrived at Northspur.
There, we were allowed to get off the train and explore the Redwoods.
They are seriously amazing!
I wanted to get a nice picture of just Mark and I, but when your at the mercy of a 5 year old, you get what you get!
Luckily some nice people stepped in so we could get some nice pictures of the whole family!
It was a quiet ride back to Fort Bragg.
Luckily Sam slept most of the way!
Once we arrived back at the Fort Bragg train station we started our way back home to Grandma's house.
After planning and preparing and looking forward to this trip for so many years, I can't believe it's over.
We had a fabulous time along the Coast.
I am truly grateful for the opportunity to spend time with my little family in such a beautiful place!
To the people of Fort Bragg, I thank you!  I truly felt welcomed!
We seriously met some of the most friendliest people here.

No comments: