Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Abby's Luau Party

Abby turned 7 years old on Saturday.  Guys I have a 7 year old!!!
We celebrated by inviting a few of her friends from school to a Luau Party.
The invitations!
To be honest I was REALLY nervous about having a "friend" party.
I wasn't sure if they would like what I had planned and I'm not sure I could handle that!
And I definitely wasn't sure how I could take a bunch of giggly girls running wild throughout my house.
So I hired my mom and sister to come help, said a couple of prayers, and took some deep breaths.
When all was said and done, the party went better than I had expected.
With 10 seven year old's and one little sister, I just didn't know what to expect!

Here's how the party went down!
The main focus of the party was hula dancing.
I had a hired a professional (ha ha!) hula dancer to come teach the girls a few moves!
So to prepare for their hula lesson the girls needed to get dressed up for the occasion.
I started the party by having each girl make their our lei.
Then I gave each girl a grass skirt and turned the time over to the Hula instructor.
The girls ate it up!
I mean who can resist dancing to beautiful Hawaiian music.
The girls really took it quite seriously!
All the beautiful Hula girls.
After the hula lesson it was time for treats and presents.
Abby's birthday festivities carried over for two days so the two cakes were for the "family" party the next day.
There were cupcakes, flip flop cookies, and "Tahitian" coconut bread.
Singing to the Birthday Girl!
I LOVED eavesdropping on their sweet seven year old conversation.
The girls got along so well!
Time for presents.
It seriously lasted like two minutes.  I blinked and I missed half the presents!
After the presents were opened (I had definitely planned on it lasting a little longer) it was time for some games.
We started out with the Limbo. 
I was surprised at how many of the girls new about limbo.  I thought for sure it was going to be a new game for them.
After the limbo we played "pass the coconut".
The "Hawaiian" version of hot potato.
It's funny how much fun little girls can have with just a coconut and some Hawaiian music.
Abby had really wanted to do a Pinata, so after the games I had planned to do one.
I had bought a cute Hula girl one (it's the one on the dessert table) and everything.
Unfortunately, it rained all morning long so I decided not to do it (I didn't think it would make a great inside activity!).
However, it cleared up during the party so after the games the girls were able to run outside and play for a few minutes until their mom's came to pick them up.  Perfect Timing!

In the end, there was no complaints about being bored and Abby was smiling from ear to ear.
I'll take that as a sign that Abby and I had planned a pretty good party.

Happy Birthday Sweet Girl.  
I hope the party was every bit as fun as you had hoped!

1 comment:

Elizabeth Farnsworth said...

I didn't know you braved a friend party! Way to go Hilly! I am proud of you! lol Happy birthday Abby! By the way I am loving all of your posts and next year we are for sure celebrating our birthdays together!